We had a tea party! In honor of this summer’s royal wedding, we decided to hold a traditional tea party in cooking. We made tea sandwiches—pimento cheese and ham salad—on very thin sliced bread, scones—with chocolate chips or raisins, and tea—Earl Grey and English Breakfast. We even had teacups, centerpieces, and table cloths. It was quite lovely!
Camp Merri-Mac Scones
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ stick (1/4 cup) cold butter
- 1 cup golden raisins, chocolate chips, nuts or a mixture
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment.
- In one bowl, mix flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Cut butter into chunks and press (cut) into flour mixture to make crumbly mix.
- Add cup of raisins, chocolate chips, OR nuts to flour mixture.
- In another bowl, mix egg, vanilla, and milk.
- Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and work together with spatula and/or hands.
- Pour dough onto floured surface and sprinkle with flour. Pat to about 1” thick.
- Divide dough in half and form into two circles. Use more flour if necessary.
- Place circles on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush with teaspoon of milk.
- Sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Chill in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cut into wedges or small squares.
This was a new recipe for camp and the girls loved it! Each group made their own meatballs, which we baked and they learned about soaking their bread crumbs in milk, which is what grandma used to do with her stale bread when she wanted to use it in meatloaf or meatballs. Then everyone made their own mini meatball subs; they were delicious AND adorable!
Camp Merri-Mac Mini Meatball Subs
Ingredients for meatballs:
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon parsley
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with foil, then place cooling rack over foil.
- Place bread crumbs and milk in small bowl, let soak.
- Put ground beef in large mixing bowl. Add bread crumbs and all remaining ingredients.
- Gently fold all ingredients together, do not smush the meat. 😊
- Use small ice cream scoop to make small meatballs, do not smush the meat. 😊
- Will make about 20 meatballs.
- Place meatballs on rack, not touching.
- Bake 15-20 minutes.
Ingredients for sub:
- Marinara sauce
- 6 hot dog buns, cut in half (one half per camper)
- Soft margarine or butter
- Garlic powder
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Warm the marinara sauce.
- Spread the inside of the buns with soft margarine.
- Sprinkle with garlic powder.
- Toast, open faced, in oven for about 5 minutes.
- Place 2-3 mini meatballs on each bun.
- Top with marinara sauce
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Toast again, open faced, in oven for about 2 minutes.
- Eat. 😊