There are few moments that bring on a louder cheer in the Merri-Mac Dining hall than when the trays of S’more pockets are brought to each table. When the menu board reads Baked oatmeal, Taco in a bag, or S’more pockets, a giddy excitement rushes through all the campers, as someone inevitably proclaims, “this is my favorite!”
With that in mind we thought it would be fun to share some of our favorite camp recipes with you so that the next time your daughter is really missing camp, (which, let’s be honest, is always) together you can make something to remember the good ol’ days of summer time at Merri-Mac. Enjoy!
Baked Oatmeal: Ingredients
3 Cups quick cooking oats
1 Cup Brown Sugar
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1 Cup Milk
½ Cup Butter, Melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk and butter. Stir into oat mixture until incorporated.
- Spoon mixture into a greased 9×9 baking pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until set. Serve warm with milk (optional)
Taco in a Bag: Ingredients
Browned Seasoned Taco meat
Snack size bags of Fritos
- While bag is still closed, crunch the Fritos into small pieces
- Open Frito Bag and scoop desired amount of Taco meat into bag. Top with desired Taco toppings.
- Insert fork into Frito Bag to mix, enjoy.
S’More Pockets: Ingridients
1 Premade Pie Crust (homemade optional)
3 Milk Chocolate Hershey bars
2 Cups Mini Marshmallows
1 Egg white (beaten)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Unroll pie crust onto a lightly floured surface
- Break Chocolate into segments of three
- Cut pie crust into rectangles the are slightly larger than the segment of chocolate; a pizza cutter works great for this. (Kneed the extra cut off dough together to make more rectangles.)
- Put a chocolate segments and about 10 mini marshmallows on a rectangle. Top with another rectangle of dough.
- Pinch the edges together and press with a fork.
- Place the S’more pocket on a baking sheet and brush top with egg white ( beaten)
- Bake for 14-17 minutes.
| By: Ally Gudeman, Assistant Director |